Tuesday, February 16, 2010

You Say - written today

you say
I can hear the street traffic from your window
the skidding tires
the raucous horns
the growl of the accelerator
I say
well i'm just glad to know
i'm not the only one
going somewhere

you say
I can hear a baby screaming
in the apartment next door
wailing and moaning
I feel vibrations in the floor
I say
well it’s nice to know
I’m not the only one
who cries

you say
I can see the remnants of other people’s days
when I walk down your street
bare chicken wing bones
used metrocards
sunflower seed shells
I say
well there’s the proof
that we are alive

you say
people in this town don’t walk
they run
and more often than not
it’s into me
or over me
I say
that’s science
atoms and particles collide
to make life

you say
I don’t know how you do it
I could never live the life you lead
I say
I like knowing other people live in this world
aside from me

1 comment:

  1. It's like a whole different perspective to try to see through another's eyes. I empathize with others but don't get lost in them anymore.

    ReplyDelete