Monday, December 7, 2009

Untitled - 12/30/96 (at 14)


When the air hurts
too much to taste
or feel or touch
then blood crystalizes
and feelings are such
that no one feels at all
and no one takes the time to call

Everything is in the mind of the beholder
Lies are not born;
they just keep getting older

This poem speaks to the sense of betrayal ACoAs have. The reality of what I felt and observed didn't match the messages I received from my parents. I was told that our family was happy, that there weren't any problems, and furthermore, if I didn't agree, that I had a problem. Because of denial, and the family's need to cover up the problem with a capital P, it felt as though I was living a lie, and quite literally we all were.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the reality of my childhood didn't match the fairy tales that were spun up. There was a lot of denial of reality. And I got very confused because of that. I believe that was the genesis of my codie behavior.

    ReplyDelete